P11D deadline looming
The forms P11D, and where appropriate P9D, which report employees and directors benefits and expenses for the year ended 5 April 2012, are due for submission to HMRC by 6 July 2012. The process of gathering the necessary information can take some time, so it is important that this process is not left to the last minute.
Employees pay tax on benefits provided as shown on the P11D, either via a PAYE coding notice adjustment or through the self assessment system. In addition, the employer has to pay Class 1A National Insurance Contributions at 13.8% on the provision of most benefits. The calculation of this liability is detailed on the P11D(b) form.
HMRC have issued some guidance as to common errors on the forms in the latest Employer Bulletin. These include the following:
- Not ticking the director box if the employee is a director
- Not including a description or abbreviation where amounts are included in box A, B, L, M or N of the form
- Leaving the cash equivalent box empty
- Failing to report the full gross value of the benefit where it is provided for mixed business and private use
- Not reporting a fuel benefit where one is due.
Correct completion of forms P11D can be a complex issue. If you would like any help with the forms P11D or the calculation of the associated Class 1A National Insurance liability please get in touch.
Internet links: HMRC P11D guidance Employer Bulletin